Monday, February 9, 2009

The Click

Corn warning: The following may come off as a bit deep and corny, but bear with me, because I do believe it is important.

It’s been awhile since my last meaningful entry. I wonder if I’m getting so caught up in living life, I simply can’t be bothered to write about it. Maybe it’s because I really don’t know what it all means; or maybe the message is so obvious, the mere thought of writing about the cliché makes me apprehensive.

Like Mr. Savant, I do secretly like sappy movies, but not without resistance. My brand of philosophy is what I would call functional. I peddle my message because I’d like to think that it’s applicable to the everyman. And as much as I like to work with metaphors and imagery, the purpose is to illustrate, define, and simplify the otherwise complex relationships between people, (and not to ponder the glossy theological or metaphysical) – that while every relationship is circumstantial, the rules of nature apply almost preternaturally across the board.

One such rule is the ‘Click.’

They say ‘Opposites attract,’ or ‘birds of a feather flock together,’ but neither adage accurately describes the importance of the ‘click.’ Some call it the ‘x-factor’ but that only describes that which fits and causes the click. Some say it is the je ne sais quoi, French for, ‘I don’t know.’ Again, this just describes the precursor. But the click itself is the significant event, not the cause. And it is magnificent in its brewing subtlety and breathless pitch often mistaken for frivolous heat or fragile infatuation. So much so, that its importance is often overlooked and overshadowed by the search for the cause of the click, that sudden search to validate and justify the click distracts us from the significance of the click itself. Make no mistake – that when it happens, the force is unbearable and the impact sounds of a sweet ‘ping’ - true and accurate. That something so sudden, so quiet, so unexpected – something so foreign can invigorate us to such a terrible state, we are at the mercy of grand gestures that contradict our ordinary lives – amazes me.

Ultimately, in the long run, I think happily married couples settle on their best imagined reason or at best, they accept that their reflection of the root cause is romantically vague (and faithfully so). I see the click in mom and dad, and I see why it perseveres over the greatest stretch of time. To replicate the cause - is pure folly. To replicate - that is God’s work, Allah’s priority, Gaia’s creation. But to seek out that which resembles the best fit in its entirety – that is our enduring challenge, our obligation and one of our deepest aspirations. It’s is not just the sum of its parts, but I’m convinced it’s also an amalgamation and arrangement of these parts that is most important. Like a key to a lock, there is no one groove, edge, or angle that shoulders the full responsibility for its burden; neither groove, edge nor angle that assumes credit for its splendor. They must be seen synonymously with the greatest depth of vision – each and every piece trained with absolute focus to comprehend its deliberate form – that which we call self, ego, I, me, the name which gives me myself. I must comprehend myself to know where I fit – with whom I fit. Only with this can I seek out and create the ‘click.’

I refuse to glaze over this event with the L-word. I refuse to accept its meager definitions. But to see it happen, this ‘click,’ to witness it; at loss for words, I must admit with a full bow from the hip, that its existence simply does not require my acceptance.

No comments:

Post a Comment